Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15xLhdDpc

Sunday, September 28, 2008

Pumpkin Bread Comes From Banana Squash??




I'm not sure just where this idea came from - all I know is, that in all my 45 years of life and living, pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread have always come from none other than banana squash. Oh yeah - I have pictures of my brother at about age four with one almost as big as he was. When mom went to glory almost 20 years ago, the tradition stoppped and was almost forgotten. She was the one who rallied the troops in the spring to plant said squash amongst all the other stuff my brother labeled as "noxious weeds". Anyhoo, one spring, I was in the local seed store, taking in all the sights and smells of potting soil, fertilizers and such and I inquired about some banana squash seeds - sure enough, in one his many seed drawers, the clerk pulled out a package and I almost fell over!! Ain't that a cottonpicker!! Not only did I rejoice but my mother's two sisters were tickled as well. My mom came from a brood of 10 kids and they grew all their own vegetables on the farm across the river-sandy soil that grew the best watermelons and cantalope you ever tasted!! So once again, the tradition began and every year, we grow these unusual squash to make the best pumpkin pies and bread you've ever had!!



I'm going to share my pumpkin bread recipe - you can use canned pumpkin.



3 cups flour - 3 cups pumpkin



2 cups sugar - 4 eggs, well beaten



1 tsp. salt - 1 1/2 cup oil



1 tsp. soda - 1/2 chopped nuts



1/4 tsp. cloves



1/4 tsp. nutmeg



2 tsp. cinnamon



Mix dry ingredients well, add nuts. In another bowl, mix pumpkin, eggs and oil well. Add dry ingredients; do not overmix. Pour into ungreased loaf pans. Bake at 350 for approx. 1 hour. ( I bake mine in small pans and bake about 30 minutes.)



This is kind of the kick off of Fall. My kids know when the pumpkin bread starts coming off, cooler temperatures are on their way and Jack Frost is circling! Till next time, adios!

No comments: