Read More http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/tutorials/how-to-use-a-cute-font-for-your-blogger-post-titles.html#ixzz15xLhdDpc

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Roosters from Hell....Part 3

Well, Ranchwife..... now you've done it. Rooster stories are as catching as a winter colds. Arkansas Stamper shared her's - guess I'll pass my childhood memories of our obnoxious rooster - actually two of the hateful he-birds right back at ya. Had to call my brother for memory support - his encounter happened after I'd flown the roost. According to his recollection , he was in the shop one day painting a trailer....minding his own business...when the family rooster decided to pick a fight. The rooster was white, and the trailer being painted was red, and boys will be boys. You have to be creative when dealing with roosters that won't back off after being kicked, cussed and rocked. How Greg caught this rooster is between him and the rooster. What happened next, became exposed to the general public! Yep, quick, fast and in a hurry, said obnoxious rooster was sporting around a red tail - dodging under equipment and vehicles - trying to get away from the red tail that was chasing him. Finally, after pure exhaustion set in, he retreated to the hen house where he hid for a couple of days. Not sure what ever happened to him. The rooster I recall hated 4-wheelers, people, dogs.... and was an expert at reconnaissance . Just when you think you had snuck by him, he showed up doing his little "I'm the pimp-daddy dance" and doing his level best to start stuff. He did his best work when he caught you bent over picking veggies in the garden. My mom sported a scar on her hip from this rooster the rest of her life and she was 6' tall. Yeah, this rooster was an Olympian. Well his luck run out one day when he got tangled up with my mom on "one of those days". She had had enough of him and his wicked ways. Can't recall what she hit him with but his leg got broke during the battle. What happened next, I'll never understand as long as I live. Being incapacitated, this would have been the perfect opportunity to "take this bird out" but no....she felt so sorry for breaking his leg, she took this worthless rooster in, splinted his leg and nursed him back to health. Yeah, no kiddin. That bird should have been rolled in flour and fried. If roosters would just protect their hens against foxes, skunks and things of this nature, instead of terrorizing the entire barnyard, I think they would live longer, more fulfilled lives. But no..... they have to spread hate and discontent to all that enter their domain. Well, with that said, just eat more chicken. Till next time. adios.

10 comments:

Paula said...

I've been trying to tell you cattle ranch wives to eat more chicken!

Ranch wife said...

Your poor mama! But you know...I could see you doing the same thing. Healing the mean rooster..the apple don't fall far from the tree.

Now I would have loved to have seen the rooster with a red tail. That is too good.

I love chicken. Fried, baked,or roasted. Shhhhh don't tell DH!

~M~

Pat - Arkansas said...

I had to laugh at the rooster trying to run away from his red tail. Your brother was quick!

Your poor mama. He really got her. I can just see me (not) binding up a mean rooster's leg. Your mama was special!

Paula said...

I just looked at your side photos - Your girls are beautiful!

cottonpicker said...

Thanks ya'll!! Love my girls - miss my mama- Don't miss the rooster!!

Ranch Wife said...

Well I suppose I had better think twice about raising more chickens. Must be something about NM that breeds violent roosters - we had chickens in Texas and our roosters never terrorized the barnyard.

cottonpicker said...

Texas raises gay roosters??

Ranch wife said...

Nope, only K's. The one I whacked with the hammer was a Texas rooster born, bred, and dead! Hateful thing.

~M~

Paula said...

You girls! I am so glad I just randomly clicked on a link one day and stumbled into ya'll barnyards!

Odd Chick said...

now i know where Greg gets his love of doctoring animals, and I laugh every time he tells me this story- painting the rooster's quish.... .